is celebrated on the 3rd Monday of February except in BC where it's the 2nd Monday of February.
Family Day was first held in Canada in Alberta in 1990. It is supposed to reflect the values of family and home that were important to the pioneers who founded Alberta, and give workers the opportunity to spend more time with their families. Family Day was introduced in Saskatchewan in 2007 and in Ontario in 2008. British Columbia observed Family Day as a statutory holiday for the first time in 2013, New Brunswick in 2018. One of the reasons for introducing Family Day was that there was a long period when there were no holidays from New Year's Day until Good Friday.
On Family Day, many people plan and take part in activities aimed at the whole family. These include visiting art exhibitions, watching movies, skating on outdoor ice rinks, playing board games and taking part in craft activities. Some communities plan special public events, and art galleries and museums may have reduced price or free entry.
Since Family Day is a holiday, some of the city services might be closed. Here is a list of the city services provides that will be closed and opened during Family Day
- Civic buildings including City Hall, Metro Hall, and the civic centres will operate on a weekend schedule from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Most tourist attractions including AGO, Royal Ontario Museum, CN Tower, Hockey Hall of Fame, the Toronto Zoo and High Park Zoo
- Skating rinks, ski parks and snowboard centres (weather permitting), indoor pools
- Malls including Eaton Centre, Vaughan Mills, and Square One
- Movie theatres
- Canada Post offices — not including those inside private businesses — will be open, and mail will be collected and delivered as normal.
- City administrative offices and service counters
- Schools, public libraries, banks
- LCBO and Beer Stores
- Malls including Yorkdale, Fairview Mall, Sherway Gardens, and Scarborough Town Centre
- The TTC will operate on a holiday schedule with the subway service beginning at 6 a.m.
- GO Transit will operate on a Saturday schedule. The transit is also offering free rides to kids under 12 from Saturday to Monday
Always on your side!www.woori.ca